January is National Oatmeal Month, which means that Milford at-home care professionals can prepare some nutritious meals to kick start their elderly loved ones’ days. Eating oatmeal on a regular basis helps keep blood sugar under control and may even lower blood pressure. It helps you and your senior feel fuller longer, so you are not tempted to grab an unhealthy snack. If your senior lives with dry itchy skin, then eating oatmeal may even help with that. If you are tired of eating microwave oatmeal, then there are several great recipes that you need to try. Here are two tasty treats to make at home.
This is the perfect recipe for seniors who love bananas.
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
3 ½ cups water
1. Slice the banana extremely thin.
2. Whisk together the banana and the water.
3. Put the mixture in a medium skillet.
4. Add the oatmeal.
5. Cook over medium-high heat until oatmeal reaches desired consistency.
6. Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
If your loved one cannot possibly go all month without eating a cookie, then consider these coconut oatmeal cookies.
2 teaspoons finely ground flaxseed meal
1/4 cup nondairy milk
1/3 cup almond butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Whisk together flax and milk in a small saucepan.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine almond butter, coconut oil and ¼ cup sugar. Stir to combine thoroughly.
6. Put all ingredients together. Stir until well combined. The dough will be exceedingly thick.
7. Scoop cookies onto a cookie sheet making sure to leave two inches between each cookie.
8. Bake for 18 minutes.
9. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
You and your senior will both enjoy these two recipes. They are a great way to start living a healthier lifestyle in the new year. Learn more about delicious and nutritious recipes your elderly loved one can eat when you call Home Care Assistance at 203-444-8575. In addition to promoting better physical and emotional wellbeing, we provide comprehensive Alzheimer’s, dementia and stroke home care Milford seniors need to age in place with dignity. Call today to set up a free consultation with an experienced Care Manager.