How to Provide In-Home Care for a Stubborn Sibling

By 9  am on

Taking care of a senior who is cooperative and appreciates your help is already challenging enough. Your task may become even more difficult when you are trying to take care of a sibling who does not want your help. Fortunately, there are a few ways to make your job easier. If your sibling is being extremely stubborn about you providing care, use the following tips to manage the issue.

Be More Relaxed

Once you take on the responsibility of caring for your sibling, it may be tempting to try to completely rearrange his or her life. Keep in mind that being bossed around might make your sibling more frustrated. Relax and let your sibling do what he or she wants as long as it is safe. Even if his or her actions seem illogical or inefficient, it may be best to take a hands-off approach. Regardless of how your sibling is acting, he or she will want to be treated like an adult.

As your sibling faces new challenges and age-related changes, he or she may accept some forms of care and refuse others. Every senior has different needs when aging in place. Some simply need occasional assistance with household chores, while others may be managing a serious illness and require more extensive 24-hour care. Milford seniors can count on Home Care Assistance to provide the in-home care they need and deserve.

Talk with a Third Party

When you begin taking care of an uncooperative sibling, you may need to have a lot of difficult, blunt discussions about his or her needs and desires. Speaking with a sibling can often bring up a lot of past resentments that make it difficult to have effective conversations. It may be helpful to bring in an unbiased person to monitor and guide your talks. Having a therapist, pastor, or counselor present can guide you through talks about your sibling’s changing care needs. 

Bring in a Professional to Help

Many seniors are uncooperative because they find it awkward or uncomfortable to have a sibling help them with personal matters. If you are in this situation, consider hiring a professional caregiver instead of doing all the caregiving yourself. Many seniors find it easier to accept help from someone who takes care of others professionally. Hiring an in-home caregiver is also a good idea because it lets you take a break so you do not become depressed or frustrated.

If you are the primary family caregiver for an elderly loved one and need additional assistance providing high-quality senior care, Milford Home Care Assistance can help. We are a leading home care agency committed to changing the way seniors age.

Talk to a Lawyer

Speaking with a lawyer should be a last resort since it could lead to a lot of strife between you and your sibling. However, in situations where your sibling truly needs help and refuses it, it may be necessary to talk to a lawyer about getting guardianship over your sibling. Becoming a guardian allows you to manage your sibling’s finances and healthcare if he or she becomes incapacitated. It is a long, drawn out process that will require proving your sibling is unable to take care of him or herself, but having legal guardianship may make your job easier in the long run.

Families who need help taking care of their senior family members can turn to Home Care Assistance Milford. One of our trusted caregivers can encourage your loved one to adopt healthier habits and help him or her age in place safely and comfortably. Call us at (203) 444-8575 to schedule a free in-home consultation.


Request Free Information or
Schedule a Free in-Home Consultation